Making Connections with IFTTT
IFTTT stands for If This Then That. You can use this resource to connect different apps. This post is not necessarily a straightforward tip. Instead, I am offering a resource to explore. IFTTT is great for setting up connections. Some are straightforward, but you can get pretty creative also. Each connection you create/activate is known as a “recipe”. Examples include:
- Getting alerts on your phone if the weather app predicts rain or snow.
- Turning on automated lights when your gps locates you within a certain radius of your home.
- Silencing your phone when your at work based on the time or your location.
This tool is cool and interesting to play with, but what are the applications to education? Here are a couple ideas.
- Setting a recipe so a Remind text is sent when you add an entry to a class Google calendar.
- Set a recipe for your tweets to be saved to a DIIGO group.
- Automatically create new reminders via emails.
- Get alerts about breaking news on specific topics.
Each of the suggestions above link to directions for setting them up. Feel free to explore and try new things out though. Let me know what you find.